Thursday, July 7, 2011

Marriage

I have been married almost 4 months now! How crazy is that! I still get a little thrown off. Every once in a while I just sit back and look at Andy and think "Wow, this guy is my husband". I absolutely adore being married. The thought that I get to spend the rest of my life with Andy just still brings a giant smile to my face. I know that I could have married any Christian boy and it probably would have been alright, but Andy is my absolute perfect match. I am by no means saying that these last 4 months have been a piece of cake. A lot of people do not realize this, sometimes especially people who have been dating a long time, but marriage is work. And I know that some of you are sitting there and you are thinking to yourself "Well, duh Heather". But it is something we always think in the back of our minds, but don't realize how hard it actually is. You have to remind yourself daily to love the person who you are married to for every shining quality they have, not if they helped do the dishes that night or if they put away dinner. You have to learn more than anything to lose your pride and just let things go. I think that has been the one thing that God has been working with me on. I cannot have expectations of Andy. I don't mean you shouldn't motivate your spouse or let them become complete slobs and do nothing. What I mean is you have to love your spouse for being the person who they are, not the things they accomplish. God repeats over and over in His word that we do not gain His love through works, but through faith. And if Gods love for us is the example for marriage, then shouldn't we have that same kind of love for our spouse. Just love them because they love us. Once you realize how much you love that other person you naturally want to do things for them. Just like your love for God creates desires in your heart to do things that please Him. At the end of a hard day, it doesn't really matter if the apartment is a little messy, what matters is that God has given me a wonderful person to come home to.

1 comment:

  1. Heather Cox, I love you! I am sooo glad that you are my son Andrew's wife. Good words dear girl! Miss you both. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.